Thursday, May 29, 2014

Perfect Popcorn



Popcorn is literally (and I mean literally) one of my favorite foods in the whole world. I'm one of those people who takes the popcorn bag home from the theater rather than waste a single precious piece of popcorn.

I've always really loved homemade popcorn as well, but it usually required some kind of bulky, frivolous contraption. Then I discovered a super easy way to make the most delicious popcorn ever. While this hasn't helped my popcorn addiction at all, it has helped me make some new friends – not to mention the cupboard space it has freed up.

Perfect Popcorn
½ c popcorn kernels
¼ c canola oil
2-3 tbsp. butter
salt, to taste
Large (6 qt) pot, with lid

Put kernels, oil, and butter in the pot & place on the stove. Turn temperature to high, and shake the pot back and forth continually while oil heats up & butter melts. Once the kernels start to pop, make sure to continue shaking the pot as the rest of the kernels pop. You will know the popcorn is done when the pot is nearly full and the popping begins to slow down. Remove from heat and let sit until kernels have stopped popping. Remove lid & pour popcorn into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix with a spoon. Taste & add more salt until desired saltiness is achieved (I usually do 2-3 rounds of salt). 

Just for the record – I can eat this much popcorn by myself. You may want to make at least two batches if you're sharing.  


Adapted from original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment