Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Turkey, Avocado, Tomato, Oh My!

Okay, so this post isn't so much a recipe as an idea.

Sometimes, when I'm trying to plan meals, I need ideas as much as recipes. So... here ya go.

Growing up, I never really liked sandwiches. I know, I know... I was weird. My mom would try to vary my sandwich selections - but I think my taste was always just too mature for the lowly ham-and-cheese sandwiches. In my later years, I have come to see the value of the sandwich. I love me a good PB&J with a tall glass of milk.

However, I still can't reconcile myself with a piece of ham slapped between two mayonnaised pieces of bread. So, I've found my own way to make sandwiches a little more glamorous, and we are all happy (that is, both the sandwiches and I).

My favorite sandwich, currently, is a turkey avocado sandwich. I realize that it's not super hard to put this together, and I'm pretty sure if you combine avocado, turkey, and tomato in any kind of manner between two slices of bread, it will be good. However, I am going to share my method, which I feel has been perfected in the making of many sandwiches.

What you will need:
2 slices of sourdough bread (I like the whole wheat kind)
1/2 tomato
1/2 avocado, mashed & salted
1/2 package (yes, that's a lot of meat) of thinly sliced turkey breast
mayonnaise (I like the olive oil kind... yum)
salt & pepper

Toast the two pieces of bread (I usually do this if I'm packing it up in the morning and taking it to class - otherwise it gets soggy). Spread the mayonnaise on both pieces of toast, and spread one side with the avocado. Then, on the avocado side, start stacking your sandwich with LOTS of turkey meat. I like my sandwiches super meaty. Then, thinly slice the tomato and place the slices on the other piece of bread. Salt and pepper the tomato, and put that baby together. I like to cut it in half, stick it in a tupperware container, and munch during my class. It really beats vending machine food.

Not only is it DELICIOUS, it is really pretty, too. And that's important. I even got complimented on my sandwich in my student development class yesterday, along with my boots.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment