Monday, March 10, 2014

Bomb-Diggity Bacon Salsa


The other day I was watching the Food Network (shocker), and saw that my old friend Trisha Yearwood now has a cooking show (coincidentally, she also does Zumba). I already had an appreciation for Trisha, but this knowledge brought it to a whole new level. Turns out she's a pretty bomb cook too, and makes her salsa with...

wait for it...

bacon.

I've been dying to try the recipe ever since. Needless to say, I finished off my bag of chips (I'm going to need to start looking for something else to put this salsa on).

Below is a slightly modified version of her "Salsa Ranchera" (see original recipe here). Salsa Ranchera just didn't quite capture the greatness of the recipe... so I also modified the title.

Bomb-Diggity Bacon Salsa
6 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into strips
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 serrano pepper (see note below), de-stemmed, de-seeded, and finely diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp salt

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until it gets brown, but before it gets crispy. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for ten minutes. Serve warm or cold. Probably warm, since you're not going to want to wait (I prefer it warm anyway).


Note: I know everyone's spiciness preference is different, so you will want to adjust this recipe to your taste. I thought two peppers made it just a little too spicy (my lips were burning). If you don't like any heat at all, I would probably just replace the serrano pepper with a green bell pepper. If you're not as much of a pansy as I am, go for two. 



No comments:

Post a Comment