Friday, March 14, 2014

German Chocolate Pie [Happy Pi Day]


Math. It's never been my favorite (in fact, I'm pretty sure I suffer from math anxiety). However, there is one mathematically-related holiday that has never disappointed me: pi day. (If you are a normal person who celebrates normal non-math-related-holidays, read more about "pi day" here. And start celebrating now.)

This year to celebrate, I'm sharing one of my all-time favorite pie recipes: German Chocolate Pie. This rich coconut-y concoction was shared with me by a lady who baked pies her whole life for a local restaurant. Needless to say, it was a best seller. 

German Chocolate Pie
Ingredients:
-3 c. sugar
-6-7 tbsp cocoa
-1 13-oz can evaporated milk
-4 eggs, beaten
-1/2 c. melted butter, cooled
-1 tbsp. vanilla
-3 c. shredded coconut
-1 c. chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds this time, but walnuts are good too)
-2 pie crusts (this recipe makes two pies… you're welcome)

Combine sugar and cocoa. Add evaporated milk, butter, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in the coconut and nuts. Pour in half in each crust. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour, or until set (sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes longer). 




No comments:

Post a Comment