Friday, April 11, 2014

[DQ Copycat] Ice Cream Cake



I've never been a fan of the out-of-the-box-mix cake with the store-bought frosting. When I was little and my mom would ask me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday, I would always want an ice cream cake. And the best was when she would get me my very own custom-designed cake from Dairy Queen. Well, when I asked my brother what kind of cake he wanted this year, I recognized the look in his eye - he didn't want just any old birthday cake. "Ice cream cake?" I asked him. He didn't have to answer - I knew I was on the path to "favorite sister" status. Hence, my first experience making an ice cream cake began. Though it had its challenges, I hope my tips below will help you (or me next time) successfully execute a delicious and beautiful ice cream cake - DQ style.

[DQ Copycat] Ice Cream Cake
2 1&1/2 quart containers of ice cream, softened at room temperature (Vanilla & chocolate are the default, but you can use your favorite - you will do one layer of one flavor, and two of the other. You can even use three different flavors like I did, but you will have some left over. Darn.)
1 pkg Oreo cookies (I used the birthday cake flavor)
1 bottle chocolate shell ice cream topping
2 pints whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 tsp vanilla
Sprinkles for topping

YOU WILL ALSO NEED: one 9-inch springform pan, one very cold freezer, and at least 5 hours.

1. Put springform pan in the freezer for 15 minutes. The ice cream should be soft, but not melted. Pull the pan out of the freezer, and spread your first layer of ice cream on the bottom of the pan and up the sides of the pan (each layer should be about 1/2 inch thick). Put back in freezer for 45 minutes.

2. In the meantime, crush the Oreos. I did not use a food processor, as I wanted them to still be crunchy. I just put them in a Ziploc bag & used my hands to crush the cookies. Mix in the chocolate shell topping until cookie crumbs are moistened. Remove pan from freezer, and spread the next layer of the cake on top of the hardened ice cream. Crumble the Oreo cookie mixture over the second layer, and put back in freezer for about 1 hour.

3. After an hour, remove the pan and spread the last layer over the top. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and put back in the freezer for about 2 hours (or overnight).

4. Before taking the cake out of the mold, you will need to get the whipped cream ready. Whip together whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until the cream forms stiff peaks. Remove the cake from the freezer, and wipe the outside of the pan with a hot cloth. Run a knife around the inside of the pan, then remove the pan. If it is not frozen enough, stick it back in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. (Trust me, you do NOT want to try and frost a melting cake.)

5. Use a rubber spatula to quickly frost the outside of the cake. Do not waste time on this step - the cake will begin to melt if you take too long. Return to freezer for at least 20 minutes after frosting. Add your decorations. (If you need to cover up a messy frosting job on the sides, feel free to get creative. Oreos saved my cake.) Leave the cake in the freezer until ready to serve - then remove 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment